ICYMI: August 20, 2017
What we wrote
It's hard to believe that we're just about 2/3's through the year – 2017 is flying by ✈️
Here are our top posts of the year (so far):
- Sales Ops with Kenny Goldman — 10 minutes
- What Does a CRO Do? With Mark Roberge — 13 minutes
- Joanna Wiebe on Writing Copy that Sells — 17 minutes
What we're reading
- Lance Jones and Joanna Wiebe put clever marketing vs. clear marketing messages to the test running three ad variations of the same service; one very clear, one looking to trigger an emotional response, and one clever one aimed to crack a smile. Check out which was most effective – you may be surprised 😮
The Great Copy Debate: Clear Vs. Clever — 7 minutes
- Omidyar Network talked with Mandy Cole, former VP of Sales at Zenefits, about building a kickass Sales team and common mistakes many companies make along the way.
The Playbook To Scaling Sales — 11 minutes
- Gokul Rajaram explains what the second most important metric is for companies. The first? NSM (North Star Metric), but Gokul pushes the importance of measuring your NSM's 'check metric' 🤔
The second most important metric for every company — 3 minutes
- Erik Devaney shares learnings from top SaaS companies marketing strategies including things like demographics, tech stack, and content.
Analyzing Marketing Strategies of the Top 100 SaaS Companies — 2 minutes
- Daniel Debow talks about how it's ok – encourages even – to piss people off 😡 – but to do it in the right way.
Piss people off (but only at the right time) — 7 minutes
- Ayaz Nanji shows some great sales cadence benchmarks – number of attempts, word count, and cadence duration all included. How does your team stack up?
Sales Cadence Benchmarks: How Often Reps Contact Leads — 2 minutes
- Vincent Vo has more sales benchmarks for us, but this time for pipeline.
Sales Pipeline Benchmarks to Supercharge your Competitive Edge — 6 minutes
Meme of the week
If you haven't heard, there's a solar eclipse tomorrow (Monday). If you're lucky enough to live along the path below, you'll have the chance to see the Total Solar Eclipse. Don't worry if you're not – you'll have a partial view (still very cool).
If you haven't bought special eclipse glasses yet, it's too late, they're sold out everywhere – something myself and the FunnelCake team learned earlier this week. Anyways, here's a DIY option.